Director of Athletics & Program Initiatives
ABOUT BOYS & GIRLS CLUB OF GREENWICH
For over 100 years, the Boys & Girls Club of Greenwich (BGCG) has offered Greenwich youth a safe place to learn and grow. BGCG’s mission is “to prepare young people, through enrichment opportunities and supportive relationships, to be responsible, caring and productive community members.” Every day over 350 kids come to BGCG after school. Programs focus on academic enrichment, healthy lifestyles, and character development. The organization offers year-round programs at its downtown location and summer programs at Camp Simmons.
The organization seeks a Director of Athletics & Program Initiatives to plan, coordinate, manage, and evaluate all athletic and recreation programs. They will also be part of planning and implementing BGCG’s character-building and leadership programs. Reporting to the VP of Programs and Youth Development, the Director of Athletics & Program Initiatives will supervise two athletic coordinators and part-time staff. They must be an energetic, positive, organized, and team-oriented professional who will be a strong role model to members, families, and staff.
• Plan, organize, and promote engaging learning experiences that meet the needs, capabilities, and interests of the members
• Initiate new sports, fitness, and recreation programs with the approval of the VP of Programs and Youth Development
• Maintain environments that manage risk, ensure safety, promote physical and mental well-being, and encourage healthy lifestyles
• Develop and teach age-appropriate skill development with clear program objectives and metrics
• Establish supportive relationships with children and youth and act as a positive role model
• Create and implement a calendar of events and activities for members
• Actively promote healthy lifestyles with Club members and their families
Management & Leadership
• Attract and retain staff to work toward shared objectives; coach, direct and supervise employees in the most effective manner assigned to volunteers and staff
• Actively participate in planning, delivery, and evaluation of youth development programs
• Manage athletic program spaces including field house, gym, pool, outdoor field, and locker rooms
• Oversee the effective implementation of programs, services, and activities, and ensure programs are intentionally striving toward desired outcomes
• Assist in the development and implementation of program standards, policies, and procedures
• Solicit input and feedback from others
• Negotiate, prepare, execute, manage, and review all outside athletic rental contracts
• Create partnerships with other organizations and community partners to develop joint programming opportunities
• Collaborate with Greenwich Public Schools’ athletic teams
• Represent BGCG by attending community functions and meetings
• Establish relationships with parents and organize fun family events
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in youth development
• A minimum of two years’ work experience in a Boys & Girls Club or similar organization
• Ability to motivate youth and manage behavior effectively
• Ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment
• Passionate about BGCG’s mission and committed to its core values of Inclusion, Respect, Safety, Accountability, and Teamwork
• Commitment to being part of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community
• Problem solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully
• Interpersonal skills – Maintain confidentiality, remain open to alternate ideas, and exhibit a willingness to try new things
• Technology – Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint and able to quickly learn other necessary software programs (e.g., rental management software)
• Communication – Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations and demonstrate group presentation skills. Strong writing skills and ability to present data effectively
• Judgment – Exercise strong judgment and initiative within policy guidelines
• Planning/Organizing – Prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently
• Dependability – Consistently at work and on time, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance
• Must pass a criminal background check
• Must pass drug screening
• Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
• Must be able to function for more than three hours on your feet
• Valid driver’s license and willing to get an endorsement to drive BGCG van
• Must be available to work some weekends and evenings
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary Range: $60,000 – $70,000 - depending on experience
Applicants should reply with a resume and cover letter that references their experience in relation to the core competencies of the job.
All resumes should be sent to DWHertz@BGCG.org.
Please include subject line of “Director of Athletics & Program Initiatives”
DISCLAIMER: The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
Boys & Girls Club of Greenwich provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.