A counselor works closely with a small team to supervise a group of up to 25 youth. Ensures a fun, safe, and positive camp experience for campers. A counselor manages behavior issues, plans activities, and participates in all Camp activities while promoting positive character development. Camp counselors are the center of the camper’s experience and should be comfortable working with youth and being a role model at all times.
Camp Dates: June 26 – August 18 (8 weeks)
Required training before beginning of Camp - Dates to be announced
Location: Clubhouse, 4 Horseneck Lane, Greenwich, CT OR Camp Simmons, 744 Lake Avenue, Greenwich, CT
Work hours 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday – Friday
Pay: $15.00-$18.00 an hour
Age: Must be 16 years of age or older
- Plans, leads, and implements camp programs for children.
- Provides high-quality educational and recreational opportunities and enjoyable experiences for camp participants.
- Supervises campers and ensures their safety, development, growth, skill achievement, and general well-being.
- Maintains a schedule for camp participants.
- Organizes and leads various small and large group activities
- Ensures the cleanliness of the site.
- Assists in maintaining accurate program records, including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Knows and understands all emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Records and tracks camper’s dietary restrictions/allergies and ensures that the meals/snacks are distributed to them.
- Mediates any campers’ disputes.
- Knows, enforces, and follows all safety guidelines associated with the camp program, including knowing the whereabouts of your charges at all times.
- Experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field
- Enjoys being in the company of children
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Caring personality
- Organization skills
- Mediation skills
- Must be able to carry heavy loads and travel uneven terrain
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks outside in various climates
Applicants should reply with a resume and cover letter that references their experience in relation to the core competencies of the job.
All resumes should be sent to Don Palmer, Vice President of Programs and Youth Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (203) 869-3224 Ext 102. Please include subject line of “Camp Counselor.”